Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Don't Worry, Not All Liberals Are This Dumb

Political Punch:
As first reported in this morning's Washington Post, Washington State artist Deborah Lawrence -- asked to submit an ornament to hang on the White House Christmas Tree -- designed one that featured the text of a House Resolution to impeach President Bush, along with images of her "hero" Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., a co-sponsor of the bill.
"The ornament is supposed to represent my state," Lawrence told ABC News just now as she walked to the White House. The design also included "messages of peace," and images from the 1999 World Trade Organization protests and the Washington State suffrage movement -- "messages of progressive politics," Lawrence says. "It's all in minute type so that's why I think it got past the first censors," she adds.

But now comes news that the White House is not going to hang the ornament. First Lady Laura Bush's press secretary Sally McDonough told the Post of Lawrence's ornament, "it really is too bad. I haven't seen the ornament, but I would hope that no one would take this as an opportunity to be divisive and partisan. There is a time and place for everything, and I don't think this is either." "So now I don't know if I'm going to be invited," Lawrence says. "I'm disappointed because the act of making the ornament was really just an earnest wish to represent my state, I didn't think it would lead to suppression of freedom of speech. I feel a little weak at the knees that they might not invite me in."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do you say that?

Anonymous said...

...O_O

Wow.