Friday, July 11, 2008

July 10, 2008

Being Barack, Or, We Don't Know Either

Break out a thousand violins - Barack bemoans his loss of privacy:

BUTTE, MONT. -- He hasn't had a vacation for months. He sees his family little more than once a week. And now as the presumed Democratic nominee for president, he can't go anywhere without being trailed by a full crew of journalists.

Reaching his limit, Barack Obama wriggled free of the campaign's fetters on July 4. Caught in Montana on his daughter Malia's 10th birthday, he improvised a party.

At the Holiday Inn Express in Butte, a city known for its copper mines and bordellos of old, Obama and family ordered a cake. They loaded an iPod with Malia's favorite songs and danced and sang. Obama later came close to tears, recalling that Malia told him "it was the best birthday she'd ever had."

"I know it sounds corny, but last night was actually one of those times where being in a Holiday Inn in Butte without a lot of fanfare. . . . I don't know whether she was just telling us what we wanted to hear, but I can tell you from my perspective it was one of the best times I've had in a long time," Obama told reporters aboard his campaign plane. Then he quickly turned and went back to his seat.

Run for President, win your party's nomination, lose privacy - gee, this whole cause-effect thing must be an eye-opener. But I especially love this:

"I don't know whether she was just telling us what we wanted to hear, but I can tell you from my perspective it was one of the best times I've had in a long time..."

Oh my goodness - a parent who can't read whether his ten year old is having fun at a party wants to trot off to meet with America's foreign enemies without any preconditions (but lots of preparation!). Well, maybe he can do a better job reading foreign adults. A guess - he will come away convinced that they loathed Bush, admire him, and look forward to peace in our time. Bold call, huh?

Betsy is not merciful.


No comments: